So you’re wondering if it is possible to lose weight with CrossFit? There are many fad diets and exercise programs that promise quick results, but often these are not sustainable or effective in the long term. CrossFit is a different kind of workout program that can help you lose weight effectively.
What is CrossFit?
CrossFit is designed to build strength and athletic abilities through functional movements performed at a high intensity. These movements are actions you perform in your everyday life, such as squatting, lifting, and pushing.
Many CrossFit workouts consist of variations of squats, push-ups, and weightlifting that last for specific periods of time instead of a number of reps like a traditional workout.
CrossFit is designed to fit everyone’s ability level, and the process is simple.
Each day, there is a prescribed workout complete with modifications for ability level. Everyone in “the box,” aka the gym, completes the same workout.
CrossFit workouts are especially effective because of their emphasis on the elements of load, distance and speed, which help participants develop explosive power.
The workout may require the use of different equipment like kettlebells, rowers and bikes, medicine balls, speed ropes, rings and plyo boxes. There will be a standard “workout of the day” (WOD) that all members complete on the same day.
The Benefits of CrossFit for Weight Loss
- It has been scientifically shown that CrossFit workouts increase the rate of fat burning in the body through an increased metabolic response and utilization of stored fat.
- CrossFit also increases (EPOC) levels which means you will still be burning more calories hours after your workout has been completed. Excess post-oxygen consumption (EPOC) levels coincide with the oxygen debt that is left after a workout. After a really intense workout, your body has to restore its blood oxygen levels which requires calories to be burned.
- There is no doubt that CrossFit workouts will help you build muscle and the more muscle you have, the more calories you will burn at rest.
- The other factor that makes CrossFit ideal for weight loss is that you will never have to worry about hitting a weight plateau. CrossFit workouts are always changing, introducing new cardiovascular challenges. This means that your body will never get used to the exercise routine.
Combine all the above-mentioned factors and you have one potent recipe for weight loss.
How to Lose Weight with CrossFit
If you are new to Crossfit, there are a few things you can do to make your journey to becoming an avid CrossFitter a smooth one.
- Firstly, start slow and gradually increase the intensity of your workouts. Don’t try to do too much too soon or you’ll quickly become discouraged.
- Be sure that your coach is qualified and that he/she makes you feel comfortable and safe at all times.
- Don’t forgo the warm-up. It’s very important to warm up properly before each workout and cool down afterwards. This will help prevent injuries and help you recover more quickly.
- Set realistic goals for yourself and track your progress over time. This will help you stay motivated and see the results of your hard work pay off.
Conclusion on How to Lose Weight with CrossFit
CrossFit has quickly become one of the most popular workout regimens in the country. And it’s no wonder why – you really can lose weight with CrossFit. It is an incredibly effective way to lose weight. Not only that, but the community aspect of CrossFit is also key to its success. When you’re working out with others, you’re more likely to push yourself harder and stay motivated.
For anyone looking for an exciting way to get in shape and meet some awesome people while you’re at it, CrossFit is a great option. Click here to find out more about out Metcon Classes or follow our social media channels.